Monday 11 April 2016

A quick bio and my role in the project.

As a 22 year old aquaculture master’s student from Stirling University, I found the prospect of developing oyster culture in Bonthe, Sierra Leone as part of the Darwin Initiative project an exciting yet challenging task. Because both my parents work in NGO’s in Southeast Asia and after living in Vietnam from age 11-18, the decision to take part in a development work for my thesis was not difficult. My part in the project will focus on studying the management, property rights, markets, and livelihoods of oyster fishing communities in the Sherbro estuary Marine Protected Area. I will also be modelling water quality within the estuary to determine distribution of oysters and sites where culture could be possible. I look forward to the challenges and opportunities I will find in Bonthe, but will learn a lot from working in a new field and being a new member of the community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment